Apple Crumble Cake with Fig & Ginger Grawnola topping
Our version is made with our Fig and Ginger Grawnola on top for a bit of extra crunch and spice. You can make this as a regular pie with a crust and filling, or add the crumble on top. Delicious with some rich almond milk for the cream!
1 cup walnuts
¾ cup pitted and packed, medjool dates or standard dates if you can’t get medjool.
Dash of Vanilla
In a food processor, combine all ingredients until they become crumbly. Press half of the mixture into a 9” pie plate.
6 medium-sized apples (granny smith or braeburn are best)
½ cup pitted and packed, medjool dates
¼ cup raisins
2½ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp nutmeg
zest and juice of 1/2 lemon
1. Peel and core all apples.
2. In a food processor, puree 2 of the apples, and remaining ingredients, until smooth. Pour this mixture into a bowl.
3. Chop the other 4 apples into large chunks and then process into small chunks in a food processor, making sure NOT to puree it into applesauce! Add to the puree.
4. Spread this filling into the pie crust or cake tin.
5. Top with the remaining pie crust, sprinkling it over the top of the filling like you would a crumble.
6. When ready to serve sprinkle a layer of Fig and Ginger Grawnola for some tasty crunch.
Enjoy with a little almond cream or cashew coconut cream, (see coconut cream recipe).