Gem McLeod's Gingerbread Brownies
To celebrate the launch of our new Pantry Staples Range, we asked some of our favourite foodies to create a Christmas recipe for us, using some products from the new range. The incredible Gem McLeod of Recovering Raw made these festive Gingerbread Brownies for us, perfect for getting you in the holiday baking mood.
Don't forget to enter our 20 Days of Christmas Giveaways for the chance to win some amazing prizes from some of our favourite organic, ethical and sustainable brands throughout the month of December. To be in to win, make sure you are following us on Facebook and Instagram to enter our daily giveaways.
2 tbsp ground flaxseed + 6 tbsp water (to form a “flax egg”)
½ cup coconut oil
2 tbsp coconut nectar
¾ cup oat flour (or good quality gluten-free flour)
¼ cup almond meal
1 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
¼ tsp vanilla powder
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tbsp ground ginger
Big pinch fine Himalayan salt
¼ tsp guar gum - helps to bind gluten-free baked goods (optional)
coconut flour, to dust (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 175°C. Prepare the flax egg by combining the ground flaxseed and water in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Melt the coconut oil in a pot over low heat. Meanwhile, combine all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Add the prepared flax egg, melted coconut oil and coconut nectar into the dry ingredients, folding through until just combined.
- Pour the batter into a brownie tin lined with baking paper. Bake for around 40 minutes or until the brownie springs back when lightly touched, and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Allow the brownie to sit in the tin for at least 30 minutes (this is crucial – you may have a crumbly mess on your hands otherwise!) before gently turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once the brownie has completely cooled down, cut into 12 slices and devour!